Thursday, October 12, 2006

While you're going, make disciples.

God is sooooo cool. At Tuesday night's HOC meeting we talked about making disciples. One of the points shared is that Matthew 28:19-20 could very well be translated "Going, make disciples." As you're going, while you're going, make disciples. You don't have to go somewhere to make disciples. Just make disciples as you're going about life. I would have never thought God had this in mind when I went to the dentist!

So, we're doing the casual conversation thing which I'm becoming pretty good at, being a pastor and all. Then he asks me what I do. "I'm a pastor in downtown." There is usually a pause after I bring this up in conversation. The person then decides if they want to continue asking more questions about this or change the subject all together. Well, he pursued further to the point of asking for my card and when services were! His dental assistant then said that she and her family were looking for a church! Praise God!

I didn't get them to pray a prayer. I explained some about Hope (we take the Bible seriously, emphasize the teachings of Jesus, the imputation of Christ's righteousness...ya know, the usual) but not much. And I invited them to come and check us out. Then I left and he went to do someone else's fillings. It wasn't an evangelistic crusade, churchwide outreach, or picking somebody at random. It can be but it doesn't have to be. But, hopefully, they took one step closer to Christ. And come Sunday they'll take another step by coming to Hope. Pray for them to come.

Wow! I was getting the first cavity fillings of my life. And God showed up! I just wanted to encourage you that as you go make disciples!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, God is amazing! Even at the dentist, I'm praying them come on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does that mean God meant for you to drink MD and get a cavity?

    God works in mysterous ways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cor! What an awesome God story!!! Glad to hear that He can use your first cavity for His glory.

    You know...when I first started to read your last post, my first thought was....after 28 years, did he finally have a cup of coffee???

    Hope everything else is great in Mpls...I really miss you all and worship at Hope.

    Vics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cor, I saw your facebook and had to come on over here. :-)

    I actually had a similar experience to this recently. I mean, you never really expect to have religious conversations with your dentist, now do you? :-)

    I was in Colorado and needed to find a dentist, so I found one in a Christian Business Directory, I still didn't think much of it and was hesitant to tell him why I was in Colorado, as I always am in such "religious" conversation... you never know how they are going to react, and then there putting sharp objects in your mouth...

    But I told him I was a worship leader and he got so excited. There I was sitting in the dentist's office talking about styles and how to engage the congregation and him giving me his perspective. And I walked out of there going, "did I really just talk about that with my dentist?"

    :-)

    Drink on! (The Dew that is...)
    ~Sara Lightbody

    ReplyDelete